Monday, October 29, 2012

HighBall 2012 Costume Couture - Behind the Scenes


I've been keeping a photo journal along the way...This post is still a work in progress. I will update it very soon.....
My original concept sketch for my application. The biggest concern from the show producers where that it didn't have enough stage presence. I promised I would make sure it would be dramatic, even though I have never done anything like this in my life...but I knew I could embellish the heck out of it.
My revised costume couture sketch. Only a few details changed as I created this.



Cleaned up my studio for the production video shoot with Little Tree Studios and Staley Cook.


A pair of shorts from a Sample sale that never fit, but I knew would come in handy on a project!

I first started by gathering some embellished pieces I didn't use anymore...A brand new pair of Kelsey Dagger shoes that I couldn't return anymore.


Some of my most used tools...wire cutter, lighter, screw driver, needles, and studded embellishments. Lighter you say? No, not for a smoke break, for sealing the ends of frayed ribbon and fabric.

More handy tools, scissors, embellishment bins and a cup for straight pins, although most end up on my floor anyway. You don't even want to know how many times I lost my needle. I'm not sure I recovered all of them, and I hope I never do.

I bought a heavy duty bustier that could handle all of the hand sewn embellishments including leather, chain, rhinestones, buttons and screw back spikes.
Starting to see it coming together!
Somehow I decided to embellish the Union Jack flag here. One of the most time consuming parts of the costume that sat unfinished until the last week.
Once I got to this point I decided I would move on to something else and finish up the embellishments later.


After the rest of the costume was finished I decided to change the black area to aqua studs to add a little color. This was the hardest part because I had to use a hand held heat tool instead of an iron.


Beginning work of my embellished moto military jacket.



The hot new trend is cage jewelry, so I created this bustier framed accessory piece, which I ended up ruining when I decided to sew it onto a garment, then begged Jess to help me Saturday morning before the show. It ended up looking better than this piece anyway!

Through out the 3 months there were several meetings with production, designers, models, hair and makeup, including this kick off meeting with the sponsors.


MORE IMAGES TO COME SOON!









No comments: